Saturday, March 26, 2011

And Yet God's grace is sufficiant for all my needs (John 14:8, 2 Corinthians 3:5, 12:9)

This week has been another week in Belize of molding of hearts and new challenges. I was able to spend my two regular days at Octavia Waight, Monday and Wednesday, as well as take part in two youth groups, Tuesday and Friday nights respectively. We also went to mid-week service at Amazing Grace Christian Fellowship in Spanish Lookout, as Jim was teaching for Pastor Rudy. We were able to finish a few work projects on the house as well (I now have a basic knowledge of house painting received from Jungle Jim). Today we finished out the week with the Saturday morning market and will be attending a dance performance in Belmopan with a neighbor tonight. Now as to the aforementioned molding of hearts I can only directly report my personal experience.
When one has prior experiences in certain areas (such as missions), at times it is easy to brush things off with a simple “Oh yeah, I’ve done this lots of times” type of attitude. Although I may not have thought, in the past, that I would be one to do this, I find there are many things in my heart that I would not approve of myself, if I had spoken them out loud to another person. And is this not what Paul declares in Romans chapter 7?

Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.
I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ out LORD!
So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 7:13-25

I feel as though these words have jumped right off the page and into my experience right now. “I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind,” What a struggle it has been for God to reveal these things to me and help me to remember them yet again. There is so much freedom in Christ and yet I allow my flesh to enslave me again, when I have the power, in my God, to walk away free. How much of my life have a wasted in self…….. in my flesh? What a gift my life in Jesus Christ is. Do I see it as such? Do I really believe that to live is Christ but to die is gain (Philippians 1:21)? What does living that out on a daily basis look like? These are many questions that not only peak my curiosity but push me to seek out the answers in God’s word. How long has it been since I have actively sought answers in God’s word? I don’t really know the answer to that but I know that that definitely means to long. Where do we get the mentality that once I am in high school then me life is really going to start, once I am in college, once I get married, once I have children or once I (fill in the blank here)? Why do I actively seek out new and exciting opportunities to minister in other places (which is not to say that this is necessarily a bad thing) while ignoring what God has put right in front of me, right now? Yes, God wants to do a work in my life but God is also DOING a good work in my life if I care to see it. I would bring attention again to Paul when he says in verse 24 “ O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” But (and there is a big one) Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift (2 Corinthians 9:15)! Paul (1 Corinthians 1:2) and Jude (Jude 1:1) both divinely declare that as a Christian I am sanctified in Christ. What a great feeling to know one’s chains of slavery to sin (Before I was a new creation in Christ) have forever been blown out of the water!! Colossians chapter three talks about how we are to put on the new man (Colossians 3:10), which is in Christ, having been shown our inability to follow the law as imperfect beings…………………………….am I getting a little to preachy for you guys? I speak from a changed heart and an opened mind to the amazing adventure and freedom there is in submitting to my heavenly groom and the love He put into His plan for my life. I hope each of you reach out to our Savior today and spend some time just in awe at His feet in worship.

In Jesus,
Your little traveler Hannah-a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and more free then imaginable!

Please pray for:

Clinic in Los Tambos and that we would have a successful planning meeting with Pastor Eric tomorrow.

Debie’s safe arrival home to Belize on Wednesday.

Jim as he prepares to return to the states to take care of Granny’s house.

Ongoing fellowship and discipleship with the young girls of Amazing Grace Christian Fellowship as well at the church in Los Tambos

No comments:

Post a Comment