Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Anther week within the will of God

So I am a little late getting out another update. I will try my best to convey the events of the past week and a half.

Last week at Octavia Waight we were privileged to host a team of two nursing professors and two nursing students from Nazarene College in Rochester, New York. It was a full week of learning full head to toe assessments and helping irrigate ears. They also invited us on Thursday to go with them to visit Clarissa Falls, which is one of the local attractions near San Ignacio.

We had a great time with them and I learned a lot from the professors, as they were both nurse practitioners. They even invited me to come out to New York when I feel like becoming a nursing instructor.

We were also able to go on a tour of one of the local hospitals. The hospital is brand new and the only fully operational wards are the labor and delivery ward and the emergency room. It was interesting walking the yellow halls of San Ignacio Community Hospital.

Tuesday nights I’ve had the Joy of helping one of the couples at church with youth group. They alternate weeks of teaching in English, where Danny Barkman teaches, and Spanish, Where Pastor Eric from Los Tambos (which I just figured out that I have been spelling wrong in my previous posts) teaches. Danny taught on Luke chapter 13. In verse six Jesus teaches on the parable of the barren fig tree. Jesus speaks of the importance of fertilizing the fig tree to give it another chance to bear fruit after three years of barrenness. God had given me the task of fertilizing Belizean hearts with the word of God. Please pray that God would give His eyes as I go about this task.

On Friday Becka, Jim, and I set out on a little weekend trip to the town of Punta Gorda in the south of Belize. This is where Melodie Tucker (now Viafranco) spent so many great years as a full-time missionary down here. It is also where I spent the majority of my time the first time I came to Belize in November of 2009. Just seeing the ocean and smelling the salty breeze was very refreshing. We then went to Placencia on Sunday where we met Maria and Emily who are good friends of the Tuckers. We were happy to host Maria and Emily on the hilltop for Monday and Tuesday. We waved goodbye to our visitors on Tuesday as they headed back to Placencia on the bus.

The days pass by one by one and I am over half way done with my time here already. God is teaching me so much living in a place where life is very different from what I am used to. Every challenge that arises I am reminded of God’s constancy and faithfulness. God has shown me this in little things such as passing notes with the young girls from church, getting letters from my grandma, the not so amiable residents at Octavia Waight remembering my name or asking for me, a cool breeze on a hot day, and wishing a brother happy birthday. God doesn’t just want three months of my life in Belize He wants every moment. Why would I spend my time doing anything else anywhere but serving The One who sacrificed His life that I might live. Praise be to God for His immeasurable blessings!!

Please pray

Upcoming clinic in Los Tambos with Dr. Sanchez possibly on April 3rd

Debie’s safe homecoming

No comments:

Post a Comment